Saturday, April 5, 2014

Weight.

A small thought for tonight.

When the stress and daily wear of life and parenthood, in particular, seem to be hovering over me like a wave that's about to break I've often been struck by the weight of my boys in my arms. It's one of the ways I've found to remind me of the value of these days. I think about what it feels like to have their weight against my chest. Their head in my arms. Their breathing keeping time with the rocking chair. And how someday this weight won't be able to be contained within my arms.

I've come back to this thought many times in many scenarios during my short time as a mother. I think about it as I pray for friends whose arms are empty. I think about it as I'm weary and ready to throw in the towel. I think about it when my heart beats hard from deep joy. I always want to remember the weight and thank Jesus for these days. These hard, weary, silly, joyful, wonderful days.

3 comments:

amy said...

I always just really love it when you write.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I checked to see if you had written anything lately :) Have I mentioned how much I love to read what you write?

You're so right. These days will pass quickly. I'm glad you are soaking it up :) You're such a good mama!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I checked to see if you had written anything lately :) Have I mentioned how much I love to read what you write?

You're so right. These days will pass quickly. I'm glad you are soaking it up :) You're such a good mama!