Sunday, June 15, 2008

the road to home.

I live in a town that I love. In the last month or so I have done my fair share of  "taking it all in" as my departure from this place is drawing closer and tonight as I drove home from my parent's house I had one of these moments. With the sun just getting ready to set, it's golden light that is so familiar in the summertime touching every part of the valley - I saw what I love...

The road to my parents house that I know like the back of my hand. The one I walked down to go to elementary school, rode my bike to Leah's house and wrecked more than one vehicle. The high school that I watched years of football games being played at and spent so many hours inside planning dances and assemblies. I passed the softball fields where I watched my sister and brother play and eventually learned myself. When summer finally arrives I always just see so much of my life around here. There are people walking everywhere with their kids and dogs... half of which I know the names of. As silly as it may sound, every street has so many memories. It's just that every time I drive around I see the last 16 years of my life. And then I realize why my heart is here. 

I saw Prince Caspian a while ago and somehow it just keeps coming back to me. There are these two songs that have really just meant a lot to me from the movie that talk about saying goodbye and what home is. Every time I hear either of them I think about this movie and how these siblings are torn between two homes and trying to figure out which one they belong in. And I say all that to say that tonight while I was driving down the street from my parent's house I finally felt like I could have both. This home will always have my heart, but I think that with time I will call Kansas home... and that will be good too. 

If you get the chance - The Call by Regina Spektor and This is Home by Switchfoot are definitely worth a listen and think of me when you do! :) 

No comments: